View Single Post
Old Wed Jun 25, 2008, 01:57pm
Official Forum Member

It's not a stare-down....

Quote:
Originally Posted by TussAgee11
But, if you peak, you are compromising a check swing appeal, a foul ball off the foot, a balk (granted, not if done correctly), maybe even picking up a ball in play late because of eye movement as your head swivels back.

This all being said, if I was told to look at R2 at school, I wouldn't say boo about it. But if I was writing the Bible of Umpiring, I would say don't do it.
Okay, first off, I "peaked" years ago, more than likely. Either that, or I never did, and never will. Moving on.....

Tuss, just how long do you thnk the peek lasts? It's not like I - as one that peeks - am trying to track the runner's progress all the way to the next base. Whether I'm looking for R1 stealing 2B or R2 stealing 3B, I don't make the look until I'm assured F1 is delivering the ball to the plate, and I turn my head and turn back.

If the ball isn't delivered to the plate at the point I've determined it's time to glance, then it's bloody well a balk, so I haven't missed that. And I don't have anyone throwing 115mph heat, so I don't miss the check swing or the foul off the batter, or any of that other stuff. I'm not looking away long enough, nor is the ball there fast enough, for it to be a problem.

Maybe you've seen someone do it, and don't like it, but I don't have the issues you mention with missing other stuff.