Thread: Mets v Mariners
View Single Post
Old Wed Jun 25, 2008, 01:35pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by msavakinas
if what he said warranted an ejection, meaning it was personal (used you) or something way over the line, then dump him. If not, go clean the plate off with mask on and tell him he's close to going or stay put and tell him to knock it off. No reason to take off his mask unless what he said deserved an ejection right away. When the mask goes so does somebody else. Runge elevated it. If Beltran said enough to get dumped then dump him or tell him to shut up, but don't try to make it in to a big scene like he did.

And for the record, I was raised a yankees fan, so I hate the Mets.

Edited to add: When a player or coach talks to you with their head down like that, that means they are not trying to show you up. They are telling you what they think without making a big scene because they don't want to show you up at that point. Trust me, I eject people for showing me up when it happens. But I also understand that if a coach comes to b!tch at me during a pitching change or some other time in which he would normally have to converse with me then I give him a little more leeway than normal because he showed me the respect to not do it in front of everybody else and to come to me, which means he's actually concerned with the call and not just being a douchebag to get his team riled up. If beltran said enough to get run, run him. If he didn't, then let him go or tell him to shut up. Runge made it into a show it didn't have to be.
What if he puts his head down and calls you a stupid MFer? Putting his head down doesn't mean he can stand there and say anything he wants. Guys in the ML don't overreact to a comment or two made with a head down, I'd prefer to assume that Beltran crossed some line and Runge wasn't going to let him get away with it.