View Single Post
Old Tue Jun 24, 2008, 12:45pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestMichBlue
If you get hit square in the center of the face mask it doesn't turn; you absorb all the energy of the ball. I had an 80 mph baseball pitch put me flat on my back with my old iron cage.
Then, IMO, your mask was too tight. In all my years of baseball, even wearing the cast iron mask, it ALWAYS moved when hit, square or not.

Quote:
Because of the angle of the helmet, most hits to the head will deflect off the helmet. The backstop absorbs the energy rather than your head.

Besides the safety issue, the helmet - IMO - is more comfortable to wear; cooler and with better visability.
I can only reference the feedback I've gotten. No argument with the protection. I think the visibility depends on the individuals experience. Once I got rid of the iron, I've never had an issue with visibility. I don't doubt your claim and that isn't my issue.

I agree with Scott's observations that do not look professional. Not a big fan of the umpires staring down the base line on fair or foul calls with the helmet still in place. Every time I see that, I look for Godzilla to be walking onto the field.

Quote:
There must be some reason why every BB and SB catcher in the country, from T-ball to MLB is wearing the helmet. Even MLB umpires are now wearing it.
Could it be for the same reason the MLB umpires wear different color shirts and don't use a balloon protecter, because it isn't stylish?

AFA catchers, they do not have the same priorities. They rarely get the big hit because they have a glove and move (or just duck and let it hit the umpire ). The umpire is trained to stay in a vulnerable position and trust the catcher to stop the ball.

Quote:
Yes, the hair gets messed up. I try to keep my hair short during the season, and the comb comes out a few times between innings.
And that is a good thing that you take that action to be more presentable on the field. However, that is you. There are probably plenty of umpires with a fair amount of hair that don't give a damn about how they look sans helmet and that is where it gets ugly.

WMB[/quote]