View Single Post
Old Tue Jun 24, 2008, 11:00am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA
There is no doubt that they offer the maximum amount of protection to an umpire's head from injury. I'm sure this may not be true for all, but the feedback I have received concerning this piece of equipment is that it is a snug fit.
Think football helmet, with a ring of padding around the crown of the head. That is the protection you speak of; also the reason why hats don't fit.

Quote:
When an umpire wearing a regular mask gets hit with a foul and the mask ends up pushed to the side of his/her head, it may look funny and silly, but that is exactly what should happen. That "give" keeps the brunt of the impact from being felt by the umpire.
If you get hit square in the center of the face mask it doesn't turn; you absorb all the energy of the ball. I had an 80 mph baseball pitch put me flat on my back with my old iron cage.

Because of the angle of the helmet, most hits to the head will deflect off the helmet. The backstop absorbs the energy rather than your head.

Besides the safety issue, the helmet - IMO - is more comfortable to wear; cooler and with better visability.

There must be some reason why every BB and SB catcher in the country, from T-ball to MLB is wearing the helmet. Even MLB umpires are now wearing it.

Yes, the hair gets messed up. I try to keep my hair short during the season, and the comb comes out a few times between innings.

WMB