View Single Post
Old Mon Jun 23, 2008, 10:11pm
Official Forum Member

No, not IMO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dholloway1962
Would this fall under the same scenario as the catcher coming out and having a "run-in" with the BR who is headed to 1B on a bunt? Both players appear to be within their "rights" to be where they are. Neither player did anything out of the ordinary.

I'm siding with Wade that one could make a case for either no call or INT. Not an automatic out.
The catcher and batter scenario, IMO, is in a different category. Although the rule book clearly states "Simply because there is contact between the defensive and offensive player does nto mean that obstruction or interference has occurred." It goes on to use a right handed batter laying down a bunt and the catcher scenario implied by your comment. But it seems to clear to me that this scenario is unique in that the catcher is playing behind the batter and the batter does not have a good view of the catcher. The OP seems more in line with a R1 interfering with F3 on a ground ball. R1 clearly could see the fielder and should have avoided F3. In the OP
B1 should have seen F5. Also, you seem to be overlooking that B1 got a late start out of the box. She did something out of the ordinary. I'm sure her coach wasn't happy about the late start.