View Single Post
Old Thu Jun 19, 2008, 02:31pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCASAUmp
I think what you're focusing too much on is the statement that the obstructed runner can not be put out between the two bases where they were obstructed. That is most certainly true. However, that doesn't mean that you necessarily only award just the one base.

Go back to my original statement about OBS. You award the base the runner would have reached had there been no OBS. The statement you make about the runner not being able to be put out between the two bases where they were OBS is one of the stipulations I had alluded to. That statement simply adds a layer of protection to the runner, nothing more. That same statement is not saying that the runner MUST be out if they advance beyond the two bases they were between. It falls right back to: award what they would have reached.

Take this sitch...

B1 is a fast runner, and she hits a good shot to the gap in the outfield. Easy triple for her. However, the catcher parallels the 1B foul line, but trips halfway down, falling into the path of B1. B1 trips over F2, stumbles, touches 1B, and goes for 2B. She gets tagged out.

Are you saying that you would only award 1B to the runner, even though you knew right away that she could have easily made it to 3B?
No, I would award her 3B, but if she made it to 3B safely anyway, then decided to go for home and was put out there (after I had determined that I was protecting her to 3B), then I would let the PU call her out. I'm not going to the PU and telling him that I'm putting her back on 3B. Am I mistaken for thinking this way? I don't think so, but feel free to correct me if I am. So once again, in my original scenario, if I feel the BR would only have made it to 1B, and was thrown out by 20 feet at 2B, are you telling me you would put her back on 1B? I'm not saying I wouldn't, because if I determined that the OBS occurred between 1B and 2B, then placing her back on 1B is correct, but if I determine that the OBS occurred between HP and 1B, then I am calling her out. That is the entire point of this topic. Once again, feel free to correct me.

By the way, I would agree that the garden variety OBS is in the majority during SP games, but in FP, more than half of the OBS calls that I made were similar to my situation. For whatever reason, high school players in this area seem unable to understand the concept that they are not supposed to be standing on the base while outfielders are still chasing down balls. High school coaches don't seem to have the knowledge or time to explain to their teams how they should be positioning themselves. After one game this year, I had one team's coach ask me, completely seriously, "The girls want to know why you keep saying construction?"

If I am making too much out of this, please pardon me. I just want to be confident that I am making the correct call at the moment that I need to make it.