View Single Post
Old Thu Jun 19, 2008, 01:14pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by snorman75
Up to the bag it's PU's, not over is what I learned. I always cover that in pre-game too. Don't have a manual on me, but I will always take that call. Why give it to your part 60 feet away with a runner in the way, when you are 10-15 feet away and can get a good angle on it?
I don't know if LL mechanics would be any different, but since I DO have a manual on me, I can tell you that the ASA manual says:

The plate umpire calls ALL fly balls as well as rendering all decisions on Fair/Foul and Catch/No Catch, except when the base umpire(s) TURN THEIR BACK to the infield and goes out to the outfield to make the call. Once the base umpire turns their back to the infield, it is THEIR CALL, fair/foul or caught or not caught. The base umpire should NOT RETURN. If a base umpire does not turn to go to the outfield, they should NOT make a call. The plate umpire should not mirror the signal given by the base umpire on fair/foul or catch/no catch.

If you were to tell me in the pregame that you wanted to make that call, I would tell you that I would prefer to call it by the book. Why open up the potential for having two umpires making conflicting calls?