View Single Post
Old Tue Jun 17, 2008, 09:59pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by UmpJM (nee CoachJM)
I must admit, like Bob P. and bobby, I'm a little puzzled as to why you thought this needed your attention.
JM,
I can remember feeling Canada's pain.
Before I called, "Play" , I wanted the players and the equipment in the dugouts, I wanted all the coaches where they belonged, in a dugout or in a box.

I thought I could break the bad housekeeping habits that had been common in local leagues long before I showed up, just by following the book.

I wondered what was wrong with these teams that they don't know and understand the rules. I knew the rules; they should know them, too. I wondered where the bad habits originated.

I thought, the better I kept my field in order, the more likely the next umpire, that had these teams, would be blessed with more *tidiness*. And I worked hard at it !

So, when I subsequently watched game after game and other umpires and teams and playing fields in need of *housekeeping* on a regular basis, I eventually became jaded.

I decided not to fight 'em; I never enjoyed that part of umpiring, anyway. As long as there was no safety issue, I no longer gave a brown-spot in that regard.

Yet, as I continue to work games, it comes of no surprise to me, that the teams that more closely follow the guidelines are the teams with experienced managers, with disciplined players, and with winning records.

Anyway, ...I remember the pain.