View Single Post
Old Fri Jul 26, 2002, 09:33pm
Official Forum Member

Wow! I see what you mean about the case book. I've been officiating volleyball for about 15 years and I can barely make heads or tails of those drawings! Brian did a good job of illustrating the positions. You can use the picture on page 74 of the case book. However...

Illustrations will not teach you how to recognize proper service order. You will have to watch some games with real people to understand how it works. Learning how to recognize proper positions is (IMHO) the second-hardest task for a new official to master (the first is recognizing ball handling fouls). Three suggestions to help you learn this rule;

1. At a chapter (or organization) meeting, go to a volleyball court and use 6 officials to line up in different serve-receive patterns. Have a veteran official explain what to look for (identify setter, identify front row and back row players, etc.). Using a line up card will help you immensely.

2. Watch some games before you start officiating. Contact your local YMCA or your fellow officials to find out where and when you can catch a couple games (rec leagues, USAV, etc.). If you have questions, you should have time between games or matches to talk to the official (hopefully s/he knows the rules!).

3. Play the game. I'm not suggesting trying out for the Olympics! I officiate co-ed rec leagues throughout the year and the ages and abilities of the players vary tremendously. Many teams are made up of players over 40 (or 50) years old who play more for enjoyment and exercise than the need to win. Actually playing the game will teach you quicker than anything else. I coach 9th & 10th grade boys who have never played volleyball before. It usually takes them only about two practices before they get a handle on the positioning.

You are absolutely right about needing new volleyball officials. Here in Pa. we are very short of officials. In our chapter we have some officials who do basketball and decided to try volleyball. The ones who put in some time to learn the game are doing very well. The ones who don't, aren't. Good luck in the upcoming season!