View Single Post
Old Mon Jun 16, 2008, 11:36pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to UmpJM
Cool

canadaump6,

When there is some minor issue like this that I feel deserves my attention, I tend to approach it in a kind of low-key way. For the situation you describe, were I to feel it needed correcting, I would probably wait until the half-inning ended and go speak privately with the coach without drawing undue attention.

I would then say something like, "Coach, I need you to back off the line a good 3 steps while the ball's in play. You want to talk to your runner when he come back to the base, no problem. But I'd hate to have to call your runner out because I thought you interfered. Thanks."

And then I'd walk away and go stand on the baseline or short RF, depending. This technique seems to work pretty well for me. Emphasis on "courteous" and "firm". They almost always do what I say.

I must admit, like Bob P. and bobby, I'm a little puzzled as to why you thought this needed your attention.

JM

P.S. You've got a good post here. You've asked a question and gotten some good feedback. Ball's in your court.

Last edited by UmpJM; Mon Jun 16, 2008 at 11:51pm.