View Single Post
Old Mon Jun 16, 2008, 12:55pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewm
USSSA 14U State Tournament. Runners on 1st and 3rd, pitcher taking a while to get the sign, batter steps out of the box without requesting time. PU doesn't say anything and doesn't move. Catcher doesn't move. Pitcher eventually decides to pitch. He begins his delivery to the plate and stops right before the ball is released. I'm thinking, that's gotta be a balk. PU says "nope, the batter wasn't in the box." Offensive coach asks, "ok, if that's the case, what would have been the call if the pitcher threw a strike?" PU says "strike." Huh? I sure thought it had to be one way or the other. The batter stepped out without time being granted. Live ball. Am I missing something?
USSSA uses OBR as its basic rules set:

6.02b: The batter shall not leave his position in the batter's box after the pitcher comes to set position or starts his windup. PENALTY: If the pitcher pitches, the umpire shall call ball or strike as the case may be.
COMMENT: If after the pitcher starts his windup or comes to a set position with a runner on, he does not go through with his ptich because the bater has stepped out of the box, it shall not be called a balk.