View Single Post
Old Sun Jun 15, 2008, 09:36pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chess Ref
Around here it's customary to start play with a new ball and a used ball. So I get into this discussion with a partner about ball rotation.

Should we apply the ball rotation of RS#2,A., which basically says the pitcher must throw the unused ball, though it really is a used ball, or should we keep the newer ball in play and disregard "RS #2, A. ?
The ball rotation rule exists to make sure that all the balls in the game are no longer new and glossy after the first inning; and that both teams share in breaking in a new ball if/when there is more than one. If the second ball is already broken in, then the intent of the rule has been met.

Frankly, I don't want anyone handing me brand new balls right out of the box/bag/wrapper to start the game. The NCAA process makes way more sense; both teams have a pitcher warming up, let each warm up with game balls so that they are all game ready. At major tournaments, the coaches often meet with a tournament official to do the coin flip for home team in advance; when they also give each team a game ball (and IF the coaches know what to do with it ), it makes for a better game.