Thread: Facial Hair
View Single Post
Old Fri Jul 26, 2002, 09:47am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Larks
Heres a question.....I was told recently it would help me to lose the moustache before the upcoming season. The reason was that coaches dont like facial hair on white guys. Black guys they dont mind but white guys they do.

This is not a racial question but I am just wondering if anyone had any comments on this subject. Anyone else out there have an assignor talk about this and perhaps elaborate?

Now, in the end, its what a 3 month season? I think I can handle no stache for 3 months.

Larks - (I was also told to drop 25...a lil tougher than shaving! Damn beer and wings are doing me in)
I believe the reason may be psychological. I've read and been told to loose any facial hair before going in for a job interview. The reason: Other people have a difficult time trusting a person with facial hair. I don't recall where I heard or read this, but people with facial hair are percieved to be hiding something. (more than just their face or upper lip)

If officiating, I think it is importan to begin with as much trust as possible. Appearance is just part of that package.