Thread: Lane Violation
View Single Post
Old Thu Jul 25, 2002, 10:24pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by theboys
Just to make sure I don't mislead anybody, I'm not a ref, just a lowly howler monkey. Since coming here I've learned a lot.
Welcome anway!

Quote:
In fact, I spent some of last weekend reading the NFHS case book. I'm not real enlightened, though; its the 2001-2002 version.
That's not a problem. The case book really doesn't change very much from year to year. There may be the occasional rule change that affects it but for the most part, it doesn't change much. So continue to study!

Quote:
Anyway, since we're talking about ad/disad, how do you reconcile those kinds of calls within a refereeing crew for a given game? Do you discuss those kinds of things in your pre-game?
Without discussing how we plan to call the game, we would truly be 3 blind mice. We discuss discuss Points of Emphasis, like handchecking. How much contact are we going to allow before we call it? All 3 have to be on the same page. We discuss post play, screens, block/charge, etc. You name it, we talk about it.

Quote:
I had a nice e-mail from one of the regulars here, describing how NCAA officials manage ad/disad. But, it made me wonder - do the organizations you're associated with discuss suggested practices for ad/disad and other judgmental items? Would make it a lot easier if you had guidelines to follow.
For the most part, each individual official has to develop his own judgment, with the confines of the rules. But still, the crew must be consistent. That's why we discuss it prior to the game. We discuss it and then allow the first few calls of the game to set the tone.

The rule book requires us to consider advantage/disadvantage. We can't call every single bit of contact. That's why the term incidental contact is in the rule book as well.