View Single Post
Old Thu Jun 12, 2008, 08:53am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tio
I find the verbiage in the NCAA rule book to be confusing. I am wondering if some of you may share the proper interpretation.

According to NCAA men's, there are six possible infractions that are classified as delay according to 4.17. (Only 3 of which are penalized with a warning)

The penalty for which is according to 4.17.2

One individual warning shall be given to the team that fails to
comply with Rule 4-17.1.d through g, and the warning shall be reported to
the official scorer. Thereafter, a technical foul shall be assessed.

According to Appendix V: "One warning for each delay of
game situation." Is listed on the major rule differences between NFHS & NCAA.

So my interpretation is that there are 3 different "warnable" offenses and in NCAA a team would be able to receive 3 different delay warnings for seperate offenses before receiving a technical foul. Whereas in NFHS, you get one delay warning for any of the 4 infractions and the second infraction is a T regardless of the type of infraction. Is this correct? I would hope that the Rules commitee will look at incorporating the information in Appendix V into the description in Rule 4.17. It doesn't seem clear to me on its own.
I don't have the books handy to check on the "3 vs. 6 delays" issue, but the NFHS recently changed so that a team gets only one warning to apply to all delays. The NCAA did NOT make a similar change. So, the rules are now different.