View Single Post
Old Sun Jun 08, 2008, 09:27pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad
Ignore the slap and concentrate on the ball going in

This is almost never a technical foul and too many officials get caught up with this rule. The rule is intended to address unsportsmanlike conduct for slapping the backboard out of frustration, not hitting the backboard in an attempt to block a shot (even if you *know* that the player has no real chance of blocking it -- he might think he does!)
Sorry, Brad, I know that it's your board, but I have to disagree. The first thing upon which to focus is the possible unsporting behavior. Taking care of the conduct of the players is primary. A simple basket is not going to be that much of a problem. You can always get some help from a partner or the table crew on that. Plus, I would think that most of the players would honestly tell you whether or not the ball went in.

Officials aren't paid to watch baskets, they are there to make the tough decisions. Technical fouls for slapping the backboard is definitely in that category. In fact, the NFHS has made this a POE for the upcoming season.

2008-09 POINTS OF EMPHASIS
4. SLAPPING THE BACKBOARD. The incidents of players slapping the backboard are increasing throughout the country. The rules specify that "intentionally slapping or striking the backboard" is a technical foul (10-3-5). The spirit and intent of that rule is to penalize a player for drawing attention to him/herself or as a means of venting frustration. A player who strikes the backboard in a legitimate attempt to block a try for goal should not be penalized. Basket interference cannot be ruled in either of the above situations. Basket interference only occurs if the ball is interfered with while in the cylinder above the basket ring or by touching either the ball or any part of the basket while the ball is on or within the basket (4-6).