Thread: Help on "tag"
View Single Post
Old Sun Jun 08, 2008, 08:48pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA
There is no such requirement. To begin the voluntary release is one of the options to help umpires determine a catch. Rule 1.Catch Problem is that the scenario has absolutely nothing to do with a catch.

Since there was no question presented of the fielder's possession of the ball before the tag or after a tag, the runner should be out.
I see your point so don't think I'm arguing with you. But my only question is that why is the requirement there for a catch and not a tag? Same principle isn't it?

I know you will make me make a case for my point so....I think demonstrating control of a tag involves the same issue, did they control the ball. If they have a voluntarily release, no doubt they had control. If they drop the ball, such as on a tag, it is impossible to know at exactly what point they began to lose possession/control. It could have been immediately when tag was applied or not.

Also, could one make the case that F6, in this scenario, actually had caught the ball, assuming a throw from another fielder, and did not have a voluntary release? Same thing if she caught the batted ball and ran the runner back?

Last edited by Dholloway1962; Sun Jun 08, 2008 at 08:54pm.