View Single Post
Old Sun Jun 01, 2008, 06:58pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Bród ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mick
I will choose to believe that your post is only meant to be informative and not patronizing, and that your rear end kissing comment is only adolescent humor. But, having a genealogy of Scotch and of Irish, having married a Mc, having been a lifelong fan of Michael Charles Mantle and of Mickey Mouse, your comments still ring with a touch of prejudicial ignorance. Perhaps another choice of words, or no words, would be better received.
Here's another choice of words. It's from my family history, that I've been working on for the past month:

The Great Potato Famine, which lasted from 1845 to 1850, resulted in a great exodus of Irish refugees fleeing to Australia, and North America, one of the most dramatic waves of Irish migration in history. The failure of the vital staple crop was caused by a mold, and the disease it causes is commonly known as late blight of potato. Starvation and disease became common as many farmers were driven penniless from their homes. The reality of life during the famine times was emigrate or starve. From 1845 to 1851, Ireland lost almost a quarter of its population. Of these, half emigrated to North America, and Australia. The other half perished. The Great Irish Potato Famine brought unprecedented elements to Irish migration because most of the migrants were unfortunate refugees, rather than voluntary emigrants. They were more likely to be diseased and destitute.

A massive amount of Ireland's native population left the island in the 19th century for North America and Australia in hopes of finding more opportunities and an escape from discrimination and oppression. A great portion of these migrants arrived on the eastern shores of the North American continent. They were generally poor and destitute, and, therefore, discriminated against. Many business owners put up "No Irish Need Apply" signs, because of the reputation they had as drinking loud mouths. Irish were also seen as dirty and disease ridden. However, these same Irish people were heartily welcomed for the hard labor involved in the construction of railroads, canals, roadways, and buildings. Many others were put to work in the newly established factories, or agricultural projects, that were so essential to the development of the United States of America.

From 1892 to 1924, more than 22 million immigrants came through Ellis Island, and the Port of New York. The ship companies that transported these passengers kept detailed passenger lists, called ship manifests. These manifests have revealed a number of people bearing my family surname, including my great grandfather, who sailing from Londonderry, County Derry, on the SS Furnessia, and arrived at Ellis Island, New York City, on October 24, 1898.

Here's a template for a tattoo that I'll be getting later this week:

Slán agus beannacht leat.

Last edited by BillyMac; Sun Jun 01, 2008 at 07:07pm.