View Single Post
Old Thu May 29, 2008, 11:17pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to danreeves1973
Standoff at third

12U league, Dixie league Rules, which are modified OBR.

Ball hit to right field, bobbled, runner has wheels, makes it to third and starts to advance as throw comes in. Pitcher gets the ball and walks him back. Third base coach is telling his guy to go every time the pitcher starts to move back toward the mound, pitcher finally camps out in the third base line, five-ten ft away, ball in glove ready to tag.

My question: any rule I can use to break this standoff? I've looked and cannot find one. Runner was not going to simply stay and let pitcher return, pitcher was not going to let runner move and I'm not going to let us stand here all night. I'm also not going to coach the pitcher and catcher on how to handle this.

I solved it after about 20 seconds by calling time, pulled both coaches to the middle of the field and told them I was not going to let them turn this into a "mockery of a game" and if a standoff occured I was killing it from this point on. They said fine and we went on. I would just like to know if i solved it right and if not, what is the best way to handle this?

Flame away...