View Single Post
Old Wed May 28, 2008, 12:25pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by celebur
I disagree. It has already been pointed out that context of 8-5B deals with obstruction of a runner, yet you quoted it with the "any" bolded as if they are absolutes. You state nothing as to why this should apply to CO. Without a cogent argument for this, I don't find it compelling.
I'm not finding a compelling argument to ignore the note on 8-5B. The definition of obstruction refers to both forms of obstruction (on a batter and on a runner), as does the Rules Supplement (on a batter and a runner). The note does state ANY obstruction, and does not explictly nor implicitly provide an exception for catcher's obstruction.

If you are relying solely on the context (that the rule defining the result of catcher's obstruction is in a different place) and the fact that the note already stated is not repeated (that would be redundant), I would hardly consider that more compelling.

While I think it could be more clear, I find the note more indicative of the intent of the rule. I would have R1 out on interference, dead ball, and the coach may have the option on the remaining elements.