View Single Post
Old Tue May 27, 2008, 04:15pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally Posted by btaylor64
mwanr1 makes a good point. you have to manage the game here. I understand your hesitance(sp?) to throw, what sounds to be, the best player on the floor out. It's hard to do, but think about the next guy that has to ref him... what kind of box are you putting him in? even kobe gets tossed every once in a while... I will piggyback off what badnewsref has already said, if it is just 24 you are problem with, you announce that you have had enough and that if he says anything else you are ejecting him, while also announcing it loud enough to your partners where not only they hear you but the coaches, and if you are lucky, the fans can here you as well so when you toss him everyone in the gym is like, "dang the ref told him not to say anything else". You can also put a little acting job in there as well. after you blow the whistle to eject the kid add some more verbage like, "you can't say that to me" or "that's too much" or "I've already warned you" and then announce the T and the ejection.

To backtrack a bit, when you tell 24 you've had enough and announce it loudly try not to do it in a demeaning way. I don't know how to explain it really but most people know when they've done something in a demeaning way. Like I've seen refs warn coaches before and I have seen it look like the ref was demeaning and showing up the coach and i've also seen it where it looked like nothing more was going on then the coach was just being warned and nothing else was happening. That is what you are striving for. You want it to appear that you are in full control of the situation but that you are not overbearing and abrasive, if that makes sense.
I can't figure out how you do what you're saying without being demeaning. You can't loudly tell a player to knock it off without being demeaning. And really, you don't need to sell this to the fans or anyone else.

If you've decided to have a few words directly with a player make sure it's between you, the player and your partner either at that moment or shortly after. The coach may or may not be included, they don't always help. No need to get loud or put on a show, just tell him exactly what he's doing wrong and how he needs to change his behavior. Then drop it. If you've decided the player's just a jerk go to the captain ot some other team mate you trust & tell him to get his player in line.