View Single Post
Old Tue May 27, 2008, 03:19pm
Official Forum Member

Interesting play............

USSSA Girls 12U fastpitch

R1 at first, R2 at second, 2 outs

B1 hits ball to SS, SS throws to second to get R2 and overthrows into right field, R1 comes around 3rd and scores

RF throws ball into the infield to the pitcher to stop R2 at 3rd base and R3 at first. Ball gets away from pitcher and rolls towards the ondeck circle where R1 has picked up a bat and is returning to the dugout. R2 breaks for home, R3 breaks for second base.

As the ball rolls towards the dugout fence, R1 uses the bat she just picked up and stops the ball with it with a lite tap. The ball rolls back to the infield where the pitcher picks it up and attempts to tag (she missed the tag) R2 just before R2 scores and R3 reach 3rd base.

what the heck do you rule on that? R1 interfered with the play, but she aided the opposing pitcher in recovering the ball. The BU and I conferred, niether of us knew what to rule and we didnt have a USSSA rule handy in the park (it was in my car). So I sent R2 back to third and R3 back to second and played on from there with two outs.
"Earl Strom is a throwback, a reminder of the days when the refs had colorful personalities, the days when war-horses like Mendy Rudolph, Norm Drucker, and a younger Earl Strom were called the father, the son, and the holy ghost.—Roy Firestone, sports commentator