View Single Post
Old Tue May 27, 2008, 07:48am
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barcelona
On a run play, somebody from Team A sideline (or on the field) screams "pass, pass". That can confuse an opponent (well, more evident would it be in case of a draw or something similar) or that can even ridicule them (in case, it is obvious, that a run is played and despite that, they are unable to stop it).
Could this be penalizied as unfair act under Rule 9-2-3-c or unsportsmanlike conduct under RUle 9-1. Thanks
Barcelona,

It is worth mentioning that there may be a point of emphasis of unsportsmanship coming from the bench. In my area, we've had to be aware in recent years of verbal taunting coming from the bench. We're to flag it right away, or if it's somewhat benign, warn the violator.

So if you feel that a direct ridicule coming from the bench is something that you wouldn't tolerate on the field (either), I think that a flag for unsportsmanlike is certainly a thing to do.

Basically, we've instructed our benches to revert comments like "#32 [of the opposite team], you suck and you can't play football" to "Jimmy [teammate, and WR, being covered by #32], he's got nothing on you. You can beat him next play too."

I'm sure that's a mild example, but you get the idea.

Last edited by JugglingReferee; Tue May 27, 2008 at 07:50am.