View Single Post
Old Fri Jul 19, 2002, 07:47pm
Official Forum Member

1)Is the following situation obstruction, interference or neither.

2) Also, is it ok to confer with your partner after one team complains about a call?

3) How can I better handle the situation next time?

Runner on First and Third. F3 is playing about a foot in front of the bag. The batter runner hits a blooper to short right field. A collosion occurs between R1 and F3 in the baseline about 2 feet from first base. F9 picks up the ball and easliy throws R1 out at second. The offense of coach is arguing for an obstruction by F3. I decide to confer with the home plate umpire because of his complaint. We subsequently decided to change my "no call" to obstruction because at the time we felt that it was obstruction.

After talking with the home plate umpire again after the game, we theorized that any of three calls may have been correct:

1)Obstruction by F3 for being in the baseline as R2 tries to reach second.

2) Interference by R1 for not attempting to move around F3 who was moving back across the baseline to try to catch the ball

3) Incidental Contact because F3 was going for the ball and just happened to be in the baseline as R1 was heading for second. In this situation, neither player has time to react to avoid a collision.

Did I make the right call? I should emphasize that the defense of coach was really upset because I decided to talk with the home plate umpire only after the offensive coach complained that I should have originally called obstruction.
I just wanted to get the call right but his point was well taken. How can I better handle this situation the next time?

Thanks,

Greg

[Edited by Gre144 on Jul 19th, 2002 at 07:54 PM]