Thread: Make the Call
View Single Post
Old Fri Jul 19, 2002, 04:10pm
Official Forum Member

"Wow, good one" is what my UIC said when I told him this one (by the way we work together, I just don't call guys when a unique play comes up - although maybe I should).
Actually, you are supposed to signal safe, after a hesitation if the runner misses the plate and the catcher misses the tag (looking in the mechanics section of the rule book) 1. so as not to tip off either team that the play is not over and 2. a runner is assumed SAFE until put out. If proper appeal is NOT made, the runner is SAFE.
I understand that the third out was made before he actually came back to touch the plate, however, the defense didn't properly appeal before he touched, so he was safe the first time, which was before the tag out at 2B.
** I got to go with run scoring, because I couldn't find anything that says it shouldn't - although I will check out the case book and bring it up at our umpire's pre-game at the state tournament meeting tonight and let some older (dare I say, wiser) heads take a crack at it. I'll let you know what they say on Monday.