View Single Post
Old Sun May 25, 2008, 07:54pm
Official Forum Member

Sportsmanship - worse in AAU? Getting worse overall?

I was visiting some of my old coaching links and happened by this site, and I recognized some of the names from when I visited some of these boards back in 2000-2002. I even saw "The Mulk" is still hanging around here, and I am fortunate enough to actually see him referee in person every now and then.

As you can tell by my handle, I am a coach. I officiated a few years in my younger days to learn the game better, and I would be tempted to get back in, but a bad back makes it too difficult right now.

To keep myself busy, I direct the feeder program for a local high school, and do player development for the freshmen - varsity in the offseason, along with coaching some of the little guys from time to time. I also am one of those dreaded AAU coaches.

Which brings me to my reason for posting. I had not coached in the older age groups of AAU for several years until this past season, and it seems as if the sportsmanship has gotten dramatically worse. I had noticed some trends with the younger kids (particularly with the parents), but at the older ages it seems to be more with the coaches and players.

Is it that bad in high school as well, and I have just been blissfully insulated? Or are too many AAU coaches just out there for the wrong reasons? Or are too many just the wrong guys to be out there in the first place?

Or am I just getting older, crankier, and more easily annoyed?