View Single Post
Old Fri May 23, 2008, 11:21am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Odd Duck
Where I work in Texas players do not have to be present to be listed in the book.

I don't know about other areas, but in Texas the governing authority is NOT the NFHS...it is the Texas University Interscholastic League. Now, they happen to have adopted the NFHS rules (with minor exceptions) for basketball but that is, in no way, to be construed as ackowledgement that the NFHS has final say...the UIL retains that right.

I would imagine the same holds true in other states...there is a state organization that governs sanctioned school sporting events. As one old timer pointed out to me years ago...the NFHS is not God...in Texas, God is the UIL.
I think this is true in every state. The NFHS is, even by its very name, a federation. Which means that it's a conglomerate of individual organizations. And those organizations will always want to have the final say on any issue for their jurisdiction. And while many times they will defer to the written NFHS rules/interps, there will be times they will tweak something in a way they feel better serves their own interests.

There are "NFHS States" that use the shot clock, play halves instead of quarters, and allow the official to consult the monitor. The rules themselves even allow for some changes by state adoption.

It ain't just the UIL