Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NM FP Ump
USSSA seems to be in line with ASA on this issue:

USSSA Seventh Edition:
RULE 8. BASE RUNNING
Sec. 17. The batter-runner is out:
K. If using the double base:
1. A batted ball hitting the white portion is declared fair and a batted ball hitting only the colored potion is declared foul.
2. Whenever a play is being made on the batter-runner, the defense must use the white portion and the batter-runner the colored portion. (ASA 8.2.M.3) The batter-runner is out when there is a play being made at first base and the batter-runner touches only the white portion, providing the defense appeals prior to the batter-runner returning to first base. This is treated the same as missing the base. Once the runner returns to the white, no appeal can be made.
Exceptions:
A. If the ball is thrown from the foul side of first base line.
B. When an errant or missed throw pulls the defensive player into foul ground.
C. If using the double base, and there is a force play by an infielder on the batter-runner, who touches only the white portion and collides with the fielder about to catch a thrown ball while on the white. (ASA 8.2.M.9)
Penalty: Interference is ruled, the ball is dead, the batter-runner is out, and all other runners are returned to the base last occupied at the time of interference.
3. The batter-runner or runner may touch the white or colored base when:
A. advancing or returning on balls hit to outfield with no play being attempted. (ASA 8.2.M.6)
B. tagging up on fly ball. (ASA 8.2.M.7)
C. returning on an attempted pick-off play. (ASA 8.2.M.8)

I could add more about USSSA vs ASA, but I won't go there In my limited experience, most rule sets are the same, but there are always some differences. When it comes to the double base, USSSA and ASA seem to be "on the same page."

They should be since the USSSA rules come from the ASA book....