View Single Post
Old Wed Aug 02, 2000, 04:42pm
Official Forum Member

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Mark Padgett:

Walter analyzed the goaltending, BI and technical rules much in the same manner that I approach the over and back call. That is, there are certain elements to the call and if all of the elements are present, you make the call. If even one element is missing, you have no call. I would like him to point out, however, an example of the goaltending call during a free throw that he addressed, now that players cannot go into the lane until the ball hits something. How can you now have this call? Can you have a goaltending call if the ball has hit the backboard, a player goes into the lane then and somehow touches the ball as it is on it's downward flight into the basket from the board? And if that was even possible (and I don't think anyone is that fast), wouldn't it be BI and not goaltending? Is BI during a free throw also a technical?

Well Mark, thanks for the kind compliment. I've looked long and hard for a textbook answer for you and the best I've seen is free throw lane restrictions end (NFHS and NCAA except for players in marked lane spaces) when the ball hits either the backboard or the rim or the free throw ends (successful, certain it will not be successful, hits floor or player, etc.) Therefore, her's what I believe. If a player is leaves a marked lane space and breaks its vertical plane, obviously he/she violates. The whistle is immediate and the ball becomes immediately dead if it is a teammate of the free throw shooter. If the offensive player is really, really stupid (doesn't like his teammate, etc.) and then swats the free throw away, technical foul also. However, the free throw provision of the goaltending rule exists primarily in the case of an opponent of the free thrower leaving a marked lane space before the restrictions end and subsequently swatting the ball away. In fact, Rule 9-12 (NFHS) says exactly that. The NCAA says that no player shall touch a ball that is outside the cylinder on a free throw attempt (rule 9-15 NCAA). Remember, if an opponent violates it's a delayed whistle, ball remains alive, until the free throw ends (nothing if the ball goes in). However, violation by an opponent, then swats the ball away, now whistle right away, technical foul.

As to your other point, once the ball reaches the imaginary cylinder, all other provisions of basket interference apply. Goaltending on a free throw applies only when the ball is outside the cylinder and the ball can be going up or down. The penalties according to rule 10-3-11 (NFHS)and 10-3-m (NCAA) are the same for goaltending on a free throw, technical foul on the offending player, count the point, 2 shots and the ball. NCAA on BI on a free throw is count the point and play on (Rule 9-16 NCAA). NFHS is a technical foul for BI on a free throw, award the point, 2 shots and the ball. In all situations, award the point then assess the penalties.

Hope this answers your questions. That's my interpretation. I'm sure if I've messed it up, someone on this board will point it out. Thanks again for you comments.