View Single Post
Old Mon May 19, 2008, 03:42pm
Official Forum Member

swinging elbow rules refresher

high school rules -

I was watching a former player of mine playing on her new team this weekend and was concerned about the coaching she was receiving. What I saw in my mind was a blatant disregard for the safety of the players.

Now I am no choir boy when it comes to bending the rules (especially in the post) - I admittedly teach my kids to travel when drop stepping (I also explain why it is a travel and what the correct method is which I never knew before joining this board), I teach them how to hand fight to shed the defense who's holding them, etc.

In case I may have missed something in the last few years, here is the situation: Tied ball on a rebound. Player A in order to shed the defense trying to grab the ball and/or hanging on their arms, swings his/her elbows - but the feet never move (i.e. there is no pivot). The reaction of the fans led me to believe that this was something they work on in practice.

It is my understanding that a player may not swing their elbows; however, It is legal to pivot with your elbows extended. At one point, I believe the violation for flailing the elbows was a technical regardless of contact. Is that still correct? Is there any other rule regarding similar situations? etc.

As always, thanks for your input.