View Single Post
Old Tue Aug 01, 2000, 10:57am
Official Forum Member

Cool

quote:
Originally posted by kent wilson:
A1 is going for a layup B1 is coming from behind jumps and miss the ball but slaps the board. A1 misses the shot. Is this goal tending? I thought you could not touch the net or board when the ball is around the cylinder.

The "T" call is judgment-based. To me if it's a legitimate shot block attempt, I have nothing. The contact on the board would have to be very intense for me to call a "T" in the case of a shot block attempt. When a player is running, jumps, and swats in an attempt to block (i.e. the player is in motion, the backboard is not) contact with the backboard could be hard (a moving object hitting a stationary one). Totally judgment based call. As for the goaltending question, there are five criteria that MUST be met, without exception, in order to call goaltending on plays other than free throws, (1) there must be a tip, tap or try, (2) the ball must be in its downward flight, (3) the entire ball must be above the level of the ring, (4) the ball must have a possibility of enetering the basket in flight, and (5) no part of the ball can be in the imaginary cylinder which has the ring as its lower base. If all five are met and the ball is swatted away, you have goaltending. If any of the five are missing, you have nothing with the exception that if any part of the ball is in the imaginary cylinder and it is touched by anyone from either team, you have basket interference. It is also goaltending if a player touches a free throw that is outside the imaginary cylinder regardless of whether it is on its upward or downward flight. Basket interference occurs when any part of a live ball (doesn't have to be a tip, tap or try) in the imaginary cylinder is touched by a player (from either team), or if the ball is touching any part of the basket and a player touches any part of the basket (i.e. ball touching the rim and a player touches the net, ring, flange, etc.), or a player reaches through the basket from below and touches the ball before it enters the cylinder. Therefore, the act of slapping the backboard has nothing to do with goaltending or basket interference. It is either a technical foul or its nothing.