Thread: Jax St v. 'Bama
View Single Post
Old Sun May 18, 2008, 08:17am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA
First base umpire just made a great call on the Tide's runner leaving early at 1B.
One thing I noticed, and this is a mechanic I've noticed before, but on a bunt or throw coming from near the plate, the first base umpire is getting really deep into the IF, about 90 degrees to the play. Only one problem, and it happend in the 2nd inning. The umpire was so far in, when F3 came up to throw to 2B to check the lead runner, the umpire was nearly in the middle of the play.
I watched that game until the back-back-back HRs, then I lost interest!! Good call on early leaving. They want you 90 degrees to the throw...on the bunt you have to get in the basepath, which like you pointed out sux. However, on the play you were talking about, I couldn't figure out why she came inside the diamond to make that call, she had help ahead and had to get to HP to cover that. Didn't understand why she didn't stay in foul territory, which they allow in NCAA.

Don't know about you, but I thought the PU strike zone was, shall we say, not very good. Those outside pitches she was calling were WAY outside. And she wouldn't give the J'ville pitcher a single inside pitch.

what did you think about her zone.