View Single Post
Old Thu May 15, 2008, 11:13am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wadeintothem
I dont know, why are you in America since you cant stand so many of the things going on?

Obviously, like ASA, its the best gig in town. Always room for ASA to improve though. We just gotta wait for the old guard to move on I suppose .. or in lieu of that, the slightest possibility that they bend a little.

NCAA is blazing a trail. NFHS too.. time for the old guard @ ASA to wake up. It takes people talking to get that done
NCAA's "trailblazing" is very similar to that of ASA. They are trying their best to codify and then make uniform the mechanics of all of their umpires. You just happened to see an umpire who recieved a regional assignment in spite of this.

Go to an ASA National. You will see umpires who do not use "book" mechanics.

Personally, I like the look of uniform mechanics. You always know what to look for and what to expect from one umpire to the next. Communication between umpires, as well as coaches and players, is so much easier when you know what to expect. Also, that kind of solidarity helps to give a crewness to the umpiring staff. I think the ones who gripe about the uniform mechanics are the ones who are resistant to change or are too lazy to change. I have noticed that most of them seem to be transfers from the baseball world.

It's a small world, but I wouldn't want to have to paint it.