View Single Post
Old Wed Jul 17, 2002, 03:15pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by B-Real1
I have always assumed that catching your own "airball" shot was a travelling violation. At least it was always called on the playground that way. Last week, in a rec league game, that situation happened, and one ref(the rookie of the crew) called travelling. But then one of the other refs said that as long as the player was attempting a shot, he was able to catch it, without it touching the rim, backboard or other player. I asked the ref after the game if that was a new rule and he said it wasn't. Did he make the correct call? NBA rules claim it is travelling. Do the high school rules differ in this case? Also, is there anywhere on the net to actually read the OFFICIAL HIGH SCHOOL BASKETBALL RULEBOOK? I've searched high and low to no avail. This situation occurred again last night on the playground and I almost got laughed off the court when I tried to claim it wasn't travelling.
Traveling - or Not
4.43 B (HS Rule case book) -
  • "A1 attempts a try after ending a dribble. The try does not touch the backboard, the rim, or any other player. A1 runs and is able to catch the ball before it strikes the floor. Is this traveling? RULING : No. When A1 recovered his/her own try, A1 could dribble, pass, or try again. There is no team control after the ball has been released on a try."