View Single Post
Old Mon May 12, 2008, 11:45pm
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbybanaduck
and i still cannot fathom the reason for a PU to call time to clean the plate simply because there are runners on base. it is just not good game management.

bobby:

Everyone of who has ever umpired baseball games using NFHS rules has on more than one occasion has had to umpire a baseball game by himself. Are you going to let the ball reamain live while you turn your tuchus to the diamond while you clean the plate with runners on base?

Furthermore, when you do have a partner and there are runners on base, why would you take yourself "out-of-the-game" by turning your tuchus to the diamond to clean the plate and allow your partner to worry about a third world play. As I have stated in earlier posts, I just hope you don't have a partner who tells F1 to ahead and drill you in the tuchus because the ball is live and the batter is in the batter's box while you are cleaning the plate.

MTD, Sr.

P.S. Years ago I was the BU for a H.S. jr. varsity game (NFHS Rules) and my partner cleaned home plate six times in the top half of the first inning even though the visitor's had only one base runner and he only reached second base. As soon as the top half of the inning was over, I went to him that the next time he cleaned home plate when it didn't needed to be cleaned I was going to have F1 drill him in his tuchus. He got the picture.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio

Last edited by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr.; Mon May 12, 2008 at 11:48pm.