View Single Post
Old Mon May 12, 2008, 06:00pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daryl H. Long
Of course I adapt to changes in mechanics and rules. When I worked using OBR I did how they wanted. When I worked NCAA I did it how NCAA supervisors wanted.

My point is that applying MLB mechanics to NCAA and NF is not good unless the rules agree. MLB umpires have far better field awareness than most of the umpires posting on this forum. When HS and youth umpires that have not developed the same keen field awareness they more often than not will get themselves into trouble trying to emulate.
When I began umpiring I was very fortunate to be taught by AAA umpires in my association. Our entire association worked professional mechanics with a few modifications the state/Fed. wanted.
It's not the "trying to emulate" that brings trouble, it's the inexperience of not knowing what you're looking at which brings problems; solved by experience.

And really, through all this hand-wringing about calling time or not, how many times during a game is this necessary? Once, twice? More time is wasted during the game by the kids not hustling to/from their positions.