View Single Post
Old Mon May 12, 2008, 09:19am
rei

Quote:
Originally Posted by gordon30307
#2.

As plate umpire in this situation I'm coming up the first base line to help with pulled foot or swipe tag. In the event that my partner (for whatever reason) is unable to cover second as PU I'm now able to take BR into second. Similar to FU in A position going out on a fly ball. PU has BR into second etc. I cover this possibility in my pregame.
Great! So, who is following the passed ball that might go out of play?

For this play situation, if I didn't feel I could build any kind of decent angle for the play at second, I would not cross the base path at all, instead, would elect to go to the outfield side between 1st and 2nd and get the best angle/distance I could. You should be able to at least build some decent angle.

I believe this is called "rimming" the infield. (yeah yeah, let's leave the nasty jokes out guys...trying to have a serious discussion here! )

As to the "appreciable arc" deal, I would say I would have had to have been there. My thought is that there is NO FREAKIN' WAY a catcher can stay squatted and catch a pitched ball from 60' away WITHOUT it going directly to his glove from deflecting on the bat. The physics just don't work out any other way! In 22 years of umpiring, I have NEVER called, nor seen called an out like this before. I have however seen thousands of foul tips.