Thread: Overrun of 1st
View Single Post
Old Sun May 11, 2008, 01:03pm
Official Forum Member

Overrun of 1st

In ASA Ruleset
Situation - Mens SP:

BR singles to LF. . .passes first base and makes a non-intent move to second. . .He is located about 15 feet beyond first base and at least 5 feet into the field of play. He non-chalantly walks back to 1B. . . .during that time, the throw comes in from LF to the pitcher who immediately throws to first. the Runner is heading back to 1B but is still about 5 feet behind 1B and a few feet towards second. 1B runs towards the batter and applies tag. My call: OUT. . .however is it the right call by the book????????

ASA 8-7-H says "BR leaglly overruns first base, attempts to run to second baseand is legally touched before while not in contact with the base"

There was no real intent to advance. . .however, the runner was in the field of play and has to be accountable for his actions. So you can cite 8-8-I - Runner is NOT out "When a BR overruns first base after touching it and returns directly to the base." (does this apply to being in fair territory).

To me, this was a case of DSB - Dumb "Stupit" Batter. . .but am i right?? . . .is there another rule to apply here?