View Single Post
Old Sun May 11, 2008, 09:18am
Official Forum Member

So.. interesting opinions on either side, most make sense on how they would handle things. Seems to me the biggest issues in this post are: is this in the rules, and does calling time lengthen the game.
I call time after a slide at home, ect, like most here, and also try to pick moments when it wont interrupt the flow of the game(hey, I like short games too).
But I also cover my butt in those situations w/runners on by just raising my hand prior to the 2 second whisk. If you do this right, the next batter hasnt arrived at the plate yet, and you havent added the "30-45 seconds" to the game. Then point to the pitcher to play at what would be the normal time w/ batter in the box.
In my area, we work w/many different officials, each with different skill levels....As PU, I'm not taking the chance of having my partner miss something that could be prevented, or causes a scene that takes maybe 5 minutes to clear up-get the HC off the field-partnerconference, ect....Yes, preventive umpiring, and my varsity games rarely go over 2 hrs....