View Single Post
Old Sat May 10, 2008, 11:06pm
Official Forum Member

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAump
In full agreement when time is properly called and play is suspended.

Do you suspend play to whisk off the plate, and allow the R(s) to visit BC, and then wait for them to return to their bases?

Do you suspend play to grab more baseballs from the batboy, and allow the R(s) to visit BC, and then wait for them to return to their bases?

Do you allow the offense w/ a "free pass" to visit whenever play is suspended for any other valid reason, under FED 5-1-1 and FED 5-2-1.

Do I have a protest situation if I allow a free visit and not charge either team with a conference?

OC now want to protest. You sent his runner back during live play. Is this a judgment call?

Coaches don't call time out.
The answer to all your questions is No. I would not allow the base runner to vacate his base to go talk to a coach. I would not allow a couch to vacate dugout to talk to his defense. The only time these acts may accur is during a charged conference (3-4).

Conferences are not allowed when ball is dead per 5-1-1, 5-1-2, or 5-1-3.
Conferences are not allowed when time is called per 5-2-1a-d,f. (I purposely omitted "e" for a reason).

5-1-2e states that "time" is called... when a player or coach requests "Time"and is granted by an umpire for a substitution, conference with the pitcher or for a similar cause.

Confences are not allowed if time is for the substitution. Conferences are only allowed when time is granted for that specific purpose.

Rule 3-4 addresses charges conferences. 3-4-1 reiterated what is said in 5-2-1e. First, time must be requested for a conference but allows a substitute or other attendant to make the request in addition to coach or player.

3-4-5 allows the other team to have a conference also (not charged) but they must be ready when the requesting teams' conference ends.

Coaches do not call time out? Agreed. They may only request time out. Umpires grant time.

Last edited by Daryl H. Long; Sat May 10, 2008 at 11:08pm.