Thread: Rally scoring
View Single Post
Old Tue Jul 16, 2002, 08:38pm
Official Forum Member

I am not 100% sure of the whole process but I think it goes like this...

The local officials chapters send a list of officials who are available, and who they feel are competent, to the person in charge of running the district playoffs.

That person selects officials to work in the district playoffs and also recomends officials from that distict to the person(s) who runs the state playoffs.

I think that the people who select the playoff officials are PIAA certified officials (I know for sure the person in charge of the district in which I work is an official). I think that coaches have little or no say in who is selected.

Here in the central part of Pa. we are having a severe shortage of volleyball officials. For the past 7 or 8 years our chapter secretary has scheduled officials for the schools we cover. Usually there are more than enough officials to cover all of the games. There were usually enough in our chapter to help other nearby chapters fill in some holes in their schedules.

However, in this upcoming season we informed one school that we would not be assigning officials for them (for a couple of reasons - including lack of officials), and in addition, were not able to schedule officials for an additional 28 league matches. The schools will have to either find officials from another chapter (good luck! everyone else is short of officials) or they will have to re-schedule those matches. I already have 21 matches scheduled for Sept. & Oct. and I expect to get a few more calls. I think I'm going to need a vacation in November!