View Single Post
Old Thu May 08, 2008, 07:03pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCASAUmp
Amen to that! Almost every night, I hear, "blue, he's out of the box," when maybe a couple inches of the batter's foot had gone past the lines (or what's left of them). I simply say, "nope, I'm watching," and I rarely hear it again.
I know how that is ( in reference to the comment about what is left of the box)

As for the original poster... No way on earth would I ever be 100 percent on that call depth perception is a HUGE factor and what may look like it from someone who is 78 to 81 feet away may not be what in actuality occured.

Yet I have another question that relates to this:

When a Plate umpire does not see the batted ball that has made contact with the batter and a Base umpire Kills the play which is correct. How do we know wether she was inside the box or not? A lot of the time the batter is out of the box when we call "DEAD BALL!" big as life it self.... so how do we really know? I know in NCAA (and a few others) we are supposed to delay to see if the PU comes out to trail before we kill it. In this case the batter is DEFINATELY out of the box... ok so maybe thats a few questions in one but I think its worth pondering.