View Single Post
Old Tue Jul 16, 2002, 10:11am
Official Forum Member

So, when the crowd heckled the PU, did he yell down to you that it was a judgment call? Or did you have a discussion quietly with the PU, the PU let you go back to the coach's box, and then from nowhere he yelled to you that it's a judgment call?

My suspicions is that you yelled something from the box.
Yelling is yelling, whether in disgust or not. That's what likely prompted the PU's yell back to you. As a blue, you should know better and should handle this in discussion, not yelled complaints. IMO, with repitition, that becomes no different than yelling comments regarding a strike zone.

Some umpires don't verbally call balls; they only verbalize strikes. If you were to repeatedly yell, "That's a strike" on a pitch not called a strike, I wouldn't accept it too long. If you repeatedly yell, "that's balk, Blue" on a motion that a balk is not called on, I'm going to address that action also.

Are you saying you did no yelling to umpires here advising them you thought it was a balk?
If not, why did the PU "yell" to you in the 3B box? What prompted that action?

You are correct in that the umpire shouldn't state that F1 isn't required to stop----unless the motion went to the base. F1 is NOT required to stop on a motion going to a base. The difficulty I have with your posting is that in 9 years of assigning adult baseball, I've never run across an official reaching that level of officiating that doesn't know that a pitcher is required to stop before throwing a pitch. It's a pitching basic. My experience with umpires detracts from the credibility of your statement---especially combined with the PU's need to yell to you in the coach's box. Still, you may have found the exception.

I'll accept what you say, but I also suspect that the umpire involoved, who is not here to refute you, might have seen the situation differently.

Just my opinion,

Freix