View Single Post
Old Tue Jul 16, 2002, 09:11am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Marty Rogers
The only thing I could think of would be for you to instruct YOUR pitcher to pitch in the same manner (no stop). Then the OTHER coach would be calling for the balk. If umps are going to allow it, then at least both teams have the same advantage. Maybe that would straighten everyone out?? The commissioner /assignor needs to be aware that these umps need a balk clinic.
Coach, 2 wrongs don't make a right...........
Don't instruct your pitcher to purposely not stop because you don't like the enforcement on the other pitcher.

In all likelihood, you were yelling this from the coach's box instead of discussing it one on one with an official. I'd speculate that from your statement that "The plate umpire then yelled down that it was a judgement call." Why did he yell? What was he responding to if you were together having a discussion?

The plate umpire is correct. If the umpires judged that the pitcher was repeatedly not stopping, they'd have called it. They didn't judge what you did. They didn't want to continue with your comments and were blowing you off. If you can't live with that, then become an umpire where your judgment means something. Until then, realize it's their judgment that counts and adjust to it---no different than you should adjust to a plate umpire with a low or high strike zone.

You brought it to their attention. They responded. Continual complaints will draw warning(s) from me, and continuation thereafter will have you gone. I'm not going to put up with badgering about my judgment during a game---especially a coach loudly complaining about a balk from the 3B box. That's likely what you were doing because you didn't like the fact that they didn't agree with your judgment.

Just my opinion,

Freix