View Single Post
Old Fri May 02, 2008, 01:46am
Official Forum Member

Another whacky play by the ref

A1 is bringing the ball up court when B1 knocks the ball away toward the end line. B1 races after it, jumps from inbounds and saves the ball back into the court. Unfortunately for him, the only person in the area, is A1, who catches the ball.

However, A1 believes that B1 was clearly OOB when he saved the ball. So he immediately tosses the ball to the trail, expecting an endline throw in.

Taken by surprise, the trail catches the ball. He whistles OOB on A and gives the ball to B, indicating that B1's save was good. There was a fair amount of disbelief expressed by B1, B's coach, B's fans, but nobody said a word about how the trail handled this unusual situation of B1 tossing the ball to the ref.

Now as I replay this in my head, I don't think the trail was OOB when he caught that ball. I believe he was near the end line, and the ball would have clearly gone OOB if he hadn't caught it. But what he caught was a live ball, still in bounds.

What would you have done if you were this official, only you were aware that you were still inbounds?