View Single Post
Old Thu May 01, 2008, 04:04pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref
I'm not interested in "both" because I would never look for "both" in an official. That's because I believe that one matters and one doesn't. Take Joey Crawford as an example. Do you think that he moves smoothly or crisply? How is his play calling?

I also believe that coaches respect officials based upon the decisions that they make, not on how they look or run. As long as the official is hustling, getting into position, and making decisions that are reasonable no college coach is going to have a huge problem. A coach gets upset when he believes that an official is missing calls due to being out of position or just making a poor decision against his team.

When I think about D1 refs who coaches seem to like, but that move oddly a few come to mind: Steve Welmer, Jim Burr, Ed Hightower, Dave Hall, and Mike Kitts. They seem to be scheduled on quite a few TV games.

You seem to be talking about that first look that a coach gets at an official with whom he doesn't have prior experience. The initial presentation can certainly lead to a bit of credibility, but after a few games the coaches get to know what the person calls and that becomes the focus. Coaches and supervisors don't care about how a ten-year veteran moves (unless he can't). What you are saying pertains to the first and second year folks trying to move up within a conference or someone at a camp trying to make an impression and get hired. It really has nothing to do with the quality of officiating. It is merely a way of getting a foot in the door.
First, Joey Crawford moves exactly as i stated earlier... with a purpose. He smoothly transitions to positions when he can and makes quick sharp movements when he has to get somewhere quick.

the reason why three of those D1 referees you mentioned get games night in and night out, imo, is that they are very good communicators, but also in my imo they are not good play callers what so ever.

I think you are underestimating the presence and look of an official, but then again that's jmo. I think having a referee who has the whole package is very important and looks are a part of that package.

I disagree with you that coaches want a guy who is in position to make the right call. They just want A call in their favor. coaches don't know what the "right position" is. 9 out of 10 coaches get pissed when a play goes to the hoop from T's primary and he makes the call at the basket when the defender is on the offensive player's inside hip and to US we know that the play is the T's play and that the L will not have such a good look at it, but they don't care they just think you are too far from the play to call that and that the guy closest to the play should make the call!