View Single Post
Old Thu May 01, 2008, 03:58pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by harmbu
We were playing in a FED JV game the other night. My catcher had caught a throw from an outfielder and was waiting to apply the tag on the incoming runner. The runner then lowers his shoulder into my catcher and proceeds to raise his arm and drive my catcher into the ground. I watch the PU signal out and wait for the ejection signal which never happens. This was the third out of the inning, so I stop to ask PU on my way to coach first base why the player was not ejected. He said, "Why should he be?" I said, "Because he lowered his shoulder and threw my catcher to the ground. This is malicious contact." PU seemed stunned by this. He said, "Sorry Coach. I didn't see that. I was watching the play at the plate." I dropped it there because I knew that I was not going to get anywhere with this guy. After the next inning ended, his partner approached me and said he would talk to his partner and explain to him about malicious contact. He said that he was new and he maybe didn't realize what was going on. I told him that my catcher was not hurt, but this PU is asking for trouble from some coaches if he is going to allow things like this to happen.
Sounds like you handled it correctly. I know it's difficult to believe but all umpires had to start somewhere. Hopefully this young umpire realizes his apparent mistake and, in the future, "sees the whole play".

Quote:
Originally Posted by harmbu
After the next inning ended, his partner approached me and said he would talk to his partner and explain to him about malicious contact. He said that he was new and he maybe didn't realize what was going on.
I question the other umpire throwing him under the bus though. Not a good thing for an experienced official to do either. He should know better.

Keep up the good work coaching!

-Josh