View Single Post
Old Wed Apr 30, 2008, 09:56pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by btaylor64
Nevada,

Would you take a referee who could do both? Why settle for mediocrity? I want a guy who gets his plays right as well but if the coaches aren't buying what he's selling then you have problems as well. I know you say "who cares what the coaches think?" Well in college it means alot. If a supervisor wants a guy on a particular game and both coaches don't want the guy cause they aren't buying what he's selling, even though he is your best play caller, then the supervisor 9.9 times out of 10 will not put the ref on the game.
I'm not interested in "both" because I would never look for "both" in an official. That's because I believe that one matters and one doesn't. Take Joey Crawford as an example. Do you think that he moves smoothly or crisply? How is his play calling?

I also believe that coaches respect officials based upon the decisions that they make, not on how they look or run. As long as the official is hustling, getting into position, and making decisions that are reasonable no college coach is going to have a huge problem. A coach gets upset when he believes that an official is missing calls due to being out of position or just making a poor decision against his team.

When I think about D1 refs who coaches seem to like, but that move oddly a few come to mind: Steve Welmer, Jim Burr, Ed Hightower, Dave Hall, and Mike Kitts. They seem to be scheduled on quite a few TV games.

You seem to be talking about that first look that a coach gets at an official with whom he doesn't have prior experience. The initial presentation can certainly lead to a bit of credibility, but after a few games the coaches get to know what the person calls and that becomes the focus. Coaches and supervisors don't care about how a ten-year veteran moves (unless he can't). What you are saying pertains to the first and second year folks trying to move up within a conference or someone at a camp trying to make an impression and get hired. It really has nothing to do with the quality of officiating. It is merely a way of getting a foot in the door.