View Single Post
Old Wed Apr 30, 2008, 02:50pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleLeagueBob
Dave -

The following is a NFHS case play - so may or may not apply, depending on the rules set your son is playing under...at the very least, can give you something to ponder.

7.3.5 SITUATION I: With a runner on third base and one out, B3 receives ball
four for a base on balls. B3 takes several steps toward first base and then realizes he is still holding onto the bat. With his dugout on the third base side, he stops and tosses the bat in front of home plate towards his bench. As he tosses the bat, F2 throws the ball to third in an attempt to put out R1. The ball contacts the bat in mid-air and is deflected into dead-ball territory. RULING: The ball is dead. Interference is declared on the batter. If R1 had been attempting to steal home, R1 would be declared out and B3 awarded first base on the base on balls. If R1 was attempting to return to third base on the play, B3 is declared out for the interference. (7-3-5)
Thanks Bob that's what I wanted and just didn't have time to look for. That's what I had interpreted the play as but needed some justification before presenting it to the umpires who actually called the games etc.,

Thanks
David