View Single Post
Old Wed Apr 30, 2008, 11:55am
Lighten up, Francis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ch1town
When I'm L & the ball enters my PCA, I open up & mirror the ball... thoughts?
This sounds good to me. I've been taught at camp, however, that the Lead should mirror the ball to a certain extent even when it's outside his/her PCA. If the ball is above the free throw line near the sideline, the Lead should be wide. Not on the sideline, but maybe almost to the 3-point arc. When the ball moves to the middle of the court, the Lead should mirror this movement and close down to the free throw lane line. This leaves less distance to move when it's time for the Lead to rotate (if necessary); and it tells the T and C that a rotation may be coming.

Quote:
When I'm C & the ball is opposite, I generally take a few steps onto the court & up or down a couple steps from the FT line to get the best possible angle.
I think it's pretty rare for the C to need to move onto the court in this situation. If we're talking about a throw-in and you're trying to get an angle on a "stack" situation, ok, I can see that. But during routine play, I think you're better off staying on the sideline and adjusting up or down a step or two to officiate in the lane or on the far lane line. (You don't want to get too much farther than that anyway!)

The one time I will step onto the court as C is when there's a matchup with the ball near the free throw line right in front of me. Sometimes the ballhandler gets you straight-lined and moving a step up doesn't quite help enough. So I'll step onto the court, almost (but not quite) into a Trail position.

Quote:
When I'm T, I work the arc for the best possible angle (at about the 3 point line) I close down on shot attempts & make sure the defense has posession before transitioning to new L...
Seems just about right.

Maybe this person is telling you that you're "wandering" too much? Instead of moving to look like you're doing something, he's thinking that you should hold a position a little longer until you really need to go somewhere to see the play? I'm totally guessing about that. I'm just trying to offer another angle.

Good luck with the game tonight. My one other comment would be to just ask the guy straight-out what he means. Be honest. "I think that I'm moving better, but you keep mentioning it, so I guess I'm just not understanding what I should do differently." He sounds like he wants to help, so I'm sure he'll be willing to give you more concrete examples.

Let us know what he says!